Monday, June 18, 2012

Moving Forward into Summer!

Couple new things happening around the Hassell Castle as we move forward into summer:

  • Frisbee-We are playing ultimate frisbee in the Columbia Ultimate Disc Association Summer League! This is the third summer Aaron's played and he convinced me to sign up this year. Our 2nd game is tonight and I'm pumped. Typically when I'm playing with a new group of people, I am very self-conscious about my playing and get real focused on myself and how bad I suck. Bad move. I'm learning to focus more on just having fun and improving my game and not getting offended when someone gives me a tip. That kinda leads into the next thing...
  • Humility-We started a new series at Midtown last night on humility. The biggest and hardest thing I learned from the first sermon was that there are two kinds of pride. The first is what I normally think of as pride...the "I'm so excellent, I don't need God" kinda attitude. But the second is the polar opposite...having the constant mindset of "I am not excellent in any way" and staying focused on how "not excellent" we are. We may think we need special treatment because of how "not excellent" we are. I have a harder time explaining and recognizing this type of pride, but I know that it lives in my heart. The solution to killing pride isn't "just be more humble," but being humbled by the fact that Jesus humbled Himself and died for my pride. I genuinely desire to grow in humility and am looking forward to the rest of this series :) From the video below, Aaron will benefit from it too, lol. This is from an "interview" I did with him on a road trip about 2 years ago. Sorry it's sideways!
  • Reunion-I traveled down to Charleston last Friday to meet up for dinner with my best friends from college. April will be moving overseas soon, so we took advantage of the opportunity to meet up so we could send her off! Since we were all together, Mer's sister threw her a baby shower the same weekend; I was so thrilled so many of us were able to make it, but we missed 3 of our girls. So much is changing with all of us so quickly between jobs, grad school, family, marriage, babies, and overseas missions, it's hard to keep up, but we try to plan as far in advance as we can to make time to visit at least once a year. 
    • If you know me and are reading this blog, you probably know these girls, or  ARE one of them, but here's the roster: back (L-R): Peg, Madeline, Meredyth, Amber M. (doing a Slovak "2" bc she, hubby Patrick, and baby Samuel (exp. 7/14/12) will be moving to Bratislava soon!), front: me, Amber W., April, Jenna
    • April's moving to Asia so that's what the pose is about ;-P
  
More to come on PT school!






1 comment: