Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Been a minute...

Hey friends!

It's been a hot minute since I've blogged (told ya that would happen). But now that I'm done with my last clinical (!!!!!!!!) I have more free time again! 

That's right, I finished my LAST clinical of PT school! bahhh!! A little bit about the clinical: 
  • I was with Gentiva Home Health here in Columbia with an excellent clinical instructor (CI), Jill for 12 weeks. I had a lot of really sweet patients and a few that required a little extra dose of love and patience to treat, but overall it was a great experience. 
  • I saw a good bit of neuro (people with strokes, Parkinson's disease, etc.) which was a major blessing because I didn't get much true neuro on my neuro/rehab clinical. 
  • This rotation was so unique because we went into patients homes to evaluate and treat them. I really loved this aspect of it because we treated the patient more holistically than in other settings--we get the whole picture and are responsible for more than just their PT needs. 
  • We were finished with all of our patients usually by 2:30 or so which was awesome; the only bummer was the PAPERWORK! Home Health has the most paperwork by far of any setting; it was kinda like going to school and then bringing home your homework. woo! It was rough, but the up side is, I learned how to document things in the best way and I am familiar with all the home health paperwork should I ever choose to practice in this setting.

 So what now?
  • A#1 priority is preparing for defending my research on Nov. 2--in editing process with my research adviser now--this is my last item to complete the DPT program!
  • Job hunting: we have a job fair with lots of different companies next Monday. Two of my top picks will be there, so I'm hoping to make an impression! My CI used to work with one of them and said she'd put in a good word for me :-D 
  • Graduation is December 17th.
  • January 30 is the National Physical Therapy Exam or the BOARDS. I have to take this to get my license before I can start practicing. 
  • Aaron and I are traveling to a friends wedding in Jackson, MS the weekend of Nov. 10. After the wedding, we're heading to Nawlin's! I'm so stoked...I've never been and I've always wanted to! On the way back, we're stopping to stay the night in Birmingham, AL with two friends from Cola who moved not too long ago! Can't wait!







No comments:

Post a Comment